Before Your Field Trip
Preparing for your field trip to La Brea Tar Pits?
This video will show you and your students what to expect on your Ice Age adventure! You’ll see what makes La Brea Tar Pits such a special place, and get some tips on how to make the most of your visit.
A Field Guide For Field Trips
Ready for your field trip to La Brea Tar Pits? Use the checklist below to ensure you’ve got everything you need for a successful field trip!
BEFORE YOUR FIELD TRIP
- Check that the information in your confirmation email is correct. Haven’t filled out a field trip request form yet? Book your visit.
- Looking for a museum map, park guide, or tips for your visit? Our Chaperone Guide has everything you need to stay organized. Print copies for all of your adults and fill out any reservation times for Guided Programs, Performances, and Special Exhibits.
- Visit our Teacher Resources page to download free, grade-appropriate lesson plans and activities for your visit.
- Provide directions to La Brea Tar Pits to your drivers.
- Optional: Arrange a photo opportunity! Contact Magic Memories at email@example.com.
ON YOUR WAY
- Bus parking is available for free on the west side of Curson Avenue.
- Personal vehicle and van parking is available for $15/car in the Tar Pits Parking Lot on Curson Avenue.
- Leave lunches on the bus, in vehicles, or securely zipped in backpacks. Because of the sensitive nature of our collections, we cannot store lunches in the Museum. Thanks for protecting our collections!
- If you are running late, give us a call at 323.857.6300.
YOUR FIELD TRIP BEGINS!
- When you arrive, gather your group in front of the museum and count the number of students, chaperones, and teachers.
- Send one teacher inside with your final headcount to check in with School Programs at the Front Desk.
- Remind your chaperones that students must stay within eyesight at all times and to review the Field Trip Policies available on their Chaperone Guide.
- Once your group is checked in and stickers have been provided to all adults, use the doors on the left to enter the museum.
FIELD TRIP POLICIES
Take a look at the important information below to help you and your students be prepared for their field trip experience. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Admission to the museum and reservations for performances, programs, or special exhibits are free for all students and school staff (including teachers, one-to-one aides, teaching assistants, and administrators).
- We require a minimum of one chaperone for every ten students, and cover up to one additional chaperone for every five students. Chaperones beyond the 1:5 ratio are still welcome; however, they will need to purchase a discounted $12 chaperone ticket upon arrival. Exceptions apply to Title I schools. Additional adults may not be included in add-on reservations and may need to purchase tickets for special exhibits or performances (such as Ice Age Encounters).
- Students must be with a teacher or chaperone at all times, regardless of age. Chaperones are responsible for the behavior of the students in their group. Please monitor students closely while in the Museum Store.
- Please arrive to all program, performance, or special exhibit reservations at least 10 minutes prior to your reservation time; we may not be able to accommodate late arrivals. Please pre-divide your students into groups for your reservations before your visit. Group numbers are listed in your confirmation email.
- Food and drinks (except water) cannot be consumed in the museum and school groups are not permitted in the Atrium. Please see the Chaperone Guide for outdoor picnic spots. Visiting on a very rainy day? We’ve got you covered (literally)! Reserve your spot for indoor lunch during check in on the day of your field trip.
Check out our FAQs for more information!