Ice Age Discoveries
Students will explore what our city looked like 50,000 years ago when Saber-toothed Cats and Dire Wolves roamed, while learning about the plant and animal fossils we find in La Brea Tar Pits.
- La Brea Tar Pits Mobile Museum’s Ice Age Discoveries program is a 45 minute program for students in grades K–2.
- Dependent on the school’s bell schedule, this program can be scheduled for up to three classes per day.
- The program is facilitated by two Educators inside the Mobile Museum.
The Ice Age Discoveries program will guide students to:
- Los Angeles, and especially the Tar Pits, has a lot of fossils (finding fossils)
- Fossils tell us about the past (studying fossils)
- Ice Age Los Angeles was different in some ways, and similar in others, to Los Angeles today (learning from fossils)
- A sense of wonder and discovery about Los Angeles and my own neighborhood
- Empowered to learn, play, imagine, and do science
- Doing science and thinking like a scientist
- The excitement of working together to make discoveries
- Adding to the story and science of Ice Age Los Angeles